Winter is the season for all the chills and spills. After all, it is cold, snowy, and icy out there but that doesn’t mean you can’t look good even as you’re sliding across the ice. What I’m trying to say is cold weather is much more than just winter hats, jackets and gloves. Planning your winter wardrobe requires a lot of planning and smart shopping. I’ll be the first one to admit that the cold winter season is a difficult time for us fashion conscious people to look trendy and stay warm.
Preparing for the winter means clothes that mainly protect you from harsh elements. Actually that’s the number one rule to remember when shopping for winter clothes. It is important to build up your winter wardrobe slowly, steady and carefully. Here are a few rules to follow for staying warm this winter all while keeping a thin look:
- Personally, I am a big fan of knit sweaters. I’m not talking about those big, bulky ones you see your grandpa wear but ones that are lightweight and made from a wool blend. These are actually also warmer to wear, as well since the closer the fit of the sweater the warmer it will keep you. The also make you appear slimmer.
- It’s a good idea to wear dark colors that fit the gloomy winter season months. You’ll see many of the fashion magazines pushing colors such as black, chocolate, and deep blues. Plus, these darker colors add a slimming effect to your physique.
- Stay away from jackets and vest with that puffy down look, especially if you’re already big. I understand that they are in style and trendy, but with them being so bulky, they only make you look bigger and wider than you really are.
- Sweater vests are a great way to stay warm in the cold while looking sophisticated and fashionable. They don’t look as bulky as normal sweaters do plus they look great with a button down.
- Get yourself nice looking, fashionable hat. I love hats for men. They are great for keeping your head warm and there are great as an added final touch to a stylish wardrobe on a cold winter night. I recommend one that covers your entire head including your ears.
- Keep that cold winter chill at bay with a nice looking scarf. Wrap one around your neck for a look that is unmistakable. You can even get away with wearing a lighter and smaller coat if your scarf is warm enough.
- This season is the season for corduroy pants. Buy a pair with with a narrow wale. Not only will your legs be kept warm but you will also benefit from a slimming look rather than the traditional bulkiness corduroy usually brings to the table.
- Ask anyone who spends their days outside for long periods of time how they make it and you’re bound to get one answer unanimously. Their secret is long johns. They are worn under your clothes to stay warm from the inside out by insulating your body underneath your clothing. Long johns look better because they prevent the need from bulking up on heavy outerwear.